Most people with diabetes or metabolic syndrome conditions regard them as inevitable evils and agree to take the medicine – or inject the insulin – when the time comes. But it need not be that way. Sustainable medicine expert Dr Myhill explains in her new book steps anyone can take not only to prevent the onset of the disease, but to actually reverse and treat diabetes, and the condition that underlies it: metabolic syndrome.
Self help to prevent and treat diabetes
As Dr Myhill writes: ‘All medical therapies should start with diet. Modern Western diets are driving our modern epidemics of diabetes, heart disease, cancer and dementia; this process is called metabolic syndrome. In Prevent and Cure Diabetes: Delicious Diets, Not Dangerous Drugs I explain in detail why and how we have arrived at a situation where the real weapons of mass destruction can be found in our kitchens. Importantly, the book describes the vital steps every one of us can make to reverse the situation so that life can be lived to its full potential.’
To celebrate Dr Sarah Myhill’s latest book we want to share some of the key things you can do to help yourself prevent onset and treat diabetes. Looking after our own bodies is not just a cost effective and sustainable approach to health care, but a responsibility we have to ourselves and our loved ones. After all,
‘Prevention is better than cure.’
– Desiderius Erasmus (1466–1536)
Keep your gut healthy and reduce the carbohydrate load from the gut by
- eating a low glycaemic index (GI) diet;
- avoiding a sugar rush;
- including more fat in the diet;
- eating more vegetable fibre.
Improve your body’s ability to regulate blood sugar by
- only eating carbohydrates at one meal a day (and no snacking) and going without starchy carbs for one day a week;
- taking nutritional supplements for essential micronutrients that are deficient in the diet.
- avoiding particular prescription drugs that induce insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.
- detoxify the body from the outside too with regular hot showers, sauna-ing and/or Epsom salt baths.
Ensure your thyroid and adrenal glands are healthy and functioning well.
Prevent inflammation by doing all the above, ensuring good quality sleep, exercise, sunshine, and love and laughter.
Adopt strategies that encourage fat burning, which is highly protective against too low blood sugar levels.